What does your child learn at school each day?
Find out more information about our exciting and innovative curriculum here.....
Our Creative Curriculum
We strive to make our curriculum as exciting and engaging for our children as possible. It is created around the children's needs and interests as well as teaching them a wide range of objectives which gives them the skills and knowledge needed to be successful in life.
At St. James' we believe that learning best happens when it is built upon previous knowledge and where it is linked within a range of related subjects. For example: a maths skill may be used in PE and Science , historical learning may support English writing topics etc.... Through this approach, we know that children achieve more, they understand and remember and they are far more excited about their learning.
- English- taught initially through Read, Write, Inc as a phonics based programme to get children reading and writing. This then becomes topic based literacy from around year 2. See below for more details....
- Mathematics- taught as a whole academy through INSPIRE maths, a Singapore maths based approach which sees the children working in a very hands-on way to learn basic maths skills which they then apply to everyday problem solving. See below for more details....
- Science- taught as a part of curriculum topics and as WOW days when the whole school investigates a science problem together. Mr Spinks is our very own scientist who creates a wide range of science opportunities for us!
- Religious Education (RE)- we follow Understanding Christianity and Discovery RE to give us a broad range of learning across all world faiths.
- Art & Design
- Design Technology
- Physical Education (P.E.)
In the Early Years Foundation Stage, we follow the EYFS Curriculum which features three characteristics of effective learning:
- Playing & Exploring
- Active Learning
- Creating & Thinking Critically
The EYFS Curriculum is separated into Prime areas of learning and Specific areas of learning. As you will see, the principles behind the Early Years Curriculum match the approach we take with our whole school curriculum.
- Personal, Social & Emotional Development
- Communication & Language
- Physical Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts & Design
Our EYFS lead, Miss Cole is always happy to run through our EYFS provision if you would like to know more...
To find our more about our Curriculum please contact the school.